Project 617 . Portuguese Dictionary
Scope : Create dictionary(s) for education of Brazilian learns of Basic English.
Work to Date :
Link to -- Basic Words to Portuguese -- word doc, 809 kb, Aug 24, 2009. Good. .
or as a PDF -- 150 kb
Here are the BE words and their translation to Portuguese.
I've made the list in the Access form, because there are many things that I want
1. Etymology, till the Indo-European roots:
2. Their classification in the frequency of the English words;
3. Their translation to German and French, and Spanish too.
I want to make an international BE site...
845-846 and 849-850 are repetitions... I don't know why... I'll check it later.
I'll check the words that have many translations, to see if I can reduce them. So
the list is in its starting form.
This may be interesting and may be useful in explaining all the senses of the Basic words to advanced learners. However, for real uses, would it be more useful to translate the local words into Basic? In other words, backwards to what you have done.
1) There is little value in translating a strange, foreign, Basic word into
many local senses. The learner becomes lost -- which sense is it?
2) There is value in translating local ideas into the Basic word for that idea.
3) The learner will use his full native language and only see and use the few Basic words.
4) Learners make progression from their local ideas and need to discover how
to say it in the international language of Basic.
5) Later, when the learner discovers that the same Basic word is the answer to
several local words, only then, a list of all senses of the few Basic words will be used to show the multiple senses.
Are you able to do this with Access? Go backwards from what you have?
The list will be longer, because many local words are translated into only a few Basic words.
There is need for your next dictionary. The IDP has a small English to Portuguese dictionary that you can see at : http://www.june29.com/IDP/files/Portuguese.txt
The IDP does not have your next Portuguese to English. Your work will be happily added to the distribution of the IDP and the world does not need to know that you have used only Basic in your translations. But we will know and your learners will benefit.
Back to Basic English
Institute home page.
or Project Catalog
About this Page: 617.html - Project 617
.Last updated October 17, 2006 - first draft