Basic English Institute
- As world learns English
U.S., U.K. loses the advantage.
- " Toward a People's English: Back to BASIC in EIL" -- Sept 2005 issue of Humanising Language Teaching :
Bill Templer is a Chicago-born linguist and teacher of English as an international
language. He has taught English, German and American Studies at universities in the
U.S., Ireland, Germany, Iran, Nepal, Israel, Bulgaria, the Lao PDR and southern
Thailand. A widely published translator from German and Hebrew, he is on the staff
of the Dubnow Institute for Jewish History and Culture at the University of Leipzig,
and on the editorial advisory board of the Journal for Critical Education Policy
Studies. He is currently based at Rajamangala University of Technology Srivijaya,
Sikao district, Trang province, Thailand.
- "Prospects for Global English : Back to BASIC ?" by David Simpson
The Yale Journal of Criticism - Volume 11, Number 1, Spring 1998, pp. 301-307
The Johns Hopkins University Press
What it could be. How it succeeded, where it failed. Democratic imperative.
[Synopsis] by Bill Templer
- "The shape of things to come? Some Basic questions about English as a lingua franca"
by Barbara Seidlhofer (University of Vienna)
Lingua franca communication, 2002, pp, 269-302
[doc] - 125KB .
- "Revitalizing the BASIC ENGLISH of Ogden and Richards: Toward New Conceptions of
a People’s English as a Lingua Franca"" by Bill Templer. From the Proceedings of the Inaugural International Conference "Teaching and
Learning of English: Towards an Asian Perspective," 14-16 November 2005,
Penang, Malaysia, organized by the Faculty of Communication & Modern Languages,
University of Northern Malaysia. Published on CD-ROM, ISBN: 983 - 42825 - 0 - 8.
11 & 13 pages.
- English Rules -- as in rules-the-roost.
Language skills are short through the world, but in commerce, English rules.
- Intel's Internal Approach -- They teach foreign culture, while conducting business in English, the international language
- Andy Rooney : Not being sad over lost languages.
- Adjectives and the Work of Modernism in an Age of Celebrity by Aaron Jaffe . -- If a novelist can survive translation into Basic, there is something solid under his language. 30 pages in .DOC format.
- The Constructed Language Present Their Candidacy by Mario Pie.
A devil's advocate comments on Basic, Esperanto, Interglossa, Interlingua.
- Anthropology of Language by Lee B. James for a discussion class.
- A Two-Tier Model for a More Simplified and Sustainable English as an International Language by Bill Templer, Univ of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, in the Journal for Critical Educations Policy Studies, vol. 7. no. 2. He proposes
Basic English followed by VOA Special English as able to reach the masses of working peoples round the earth. (18 pdf pages plus 10 pages of references and links) He calls for media to be developed to reinforce the learning.
- Chinook Jargon : The first Mini-Language of International Trade by Frank Forman.
Chinook Jargon is a common language of trade representing fifty Indian languages from Oregon and Washington. Its origins may go back to the general acceptance of words by indigenous traders in the already extensive trade networks among these tribes before the penetration of Europeans.
- Ontological Help for a Lexical Semantics of Basic English by Jim Cunningham.
An exercise to see how lexicon and ontology might combine to help underpin human-agent communication, using Ogdens Basic English as a case study. It became an attempt to clarify, through exemplification in Basic English, the relationships between ontology, lexical semantics, and common sense
reasoning. PDF, 6 pages.
- Developing a Research Unit for Simplified English by Bill Templer, Shumen University, Shumen, Bulgaria.
- ‘Vertical Translation’ into BASIC ENGLISH 850 as a Tool for Metalinguistic Awareness in the EFL Classroom by Bill Templer, Shumen/Bulgaria. 2011
- Revitalizing BASIC ENGLISH 850 By Bill Templer, Shumen, Bulgaria. Journal of Modern Languages, 2012. Downshifting Discourse: Revitalizing BASIC ENGLISH 850 as a Leaner Lingua Franca in Global Working-Class Literacy. There is a widening chasm between small islands of privileged middle-class learners of EFL and the masses. BASIC ENGLISH is a sustainable foundation for a ‘target’ plateau level for L2 English literacy needs for the ‘Two-Thirds World’ of ordinary workers -- a power tool for democratizing knowledge. See http://goo.gl/Q4YUj
- Comic creator explaining complicated things in simple words A comic book writer reinvents vocabulary and why.
- How Basic is Basic English -- Harper's Magazine, 188:1126 (1944:Mar.) p 339 Makes sport of Basic, yet acknowledges it necessity.
More Scholarly Articles
- Hint : http://scholar.google.com/
Search for : Ogden "Basic English"
Goggle Scholar provides links to sites that refer to your search criterion.
The articles are from "refereed" publications.
Sometimes the articles are there in full. Sometimes it is an excerpt
and they want you to buy the article. However, do not pay for it.
- We will mirror a few excerpts
- How Do I Get These Articles ?
Articles are accessible to subscribing libraries.
Students, faculty, and affiliates of educational institutions: Your library might have access to this article or be able to get this article for you. Contact your library for help with getting this article.
Back to the Basic-English Institute
About this Page: member.html -- Items of interest to members of the Institute.
Last updated September 22, 2009 - add Constructed Language Candidacy
November 25, 2005 - add Google Scholar, Seidlhofer
Contact us at